.tiff files sometimes crash program, .jpgs too

Hi. I really like MetaImage, thanks for all the hard work you have put into developing the program. I occasionally find .tiff and .jpg files that crash the program. Crash report just says “hang”.

So right now I have a number of .tiff files from photos I have scanned with a Canon scanner, then edited with Affinity Photo. They are all .tiff files. I imported them into MetaImage and then I begin to edit the metadata. Once I choose to “overwrite…” the spinning beach ball goes on and on. I have to force quit MetaImage. In this batch I was able to add metadata and “overwrite…” it with no problems on the first two .tiff but so far the others are crashing the program.

I have a 2018 MacBook Pro running the latest version of Catalina, MetaImage 1.6.2. Thanks for your help!

Update - I’ve been doing a few tests. So far if I add metadata and choose, “Process” then “Validate Changes” each time before selecting “Overwrite…” I have not experienced a crash. These photos in .tiff included ones that were crashing the program before.

What exactly does “Validate…” do? I’ve never had to do that before when adding metadata.

Thanks for the help ahead of time.

Hi,

First of all, thank you for the feedback. After some days of investigation, I find some potential causes of the crashes.

Before any processing, MetaImage updates some graphic components such as the padlock next to the file name. It seems like it’s this kind of graphic change that is freezing the app. For example, by validating the changes, the application updates the orange circle next to the file name. Maybe that’s why fewer crashes happen.

We are preparing a big update for MetaImage, which will change parts of the interface. The update will also fix freezing issues you mentioned.

Again thank you for the comment.
Do not hesitate to contact me if the bugs are still present after the update.