Some Questions From New User

Hi. I am a new user. I have a couple of questions.

1. I am using an M1 Mac mini. In the preferences for Rendering should I choose CPU or GPU?

2. Can you update your advice on Deflicker tips as the options seem to have changed now.

Thanks.

Hello there,

I think on a Mac Mini M1, the CPU will perform better. I don’t think this is the case for a MacBook Pro MAX. The best solution is to compare performances with each mode on a small image set on your machine.

The number of passes is typically 2: higher the number, the smoother the brightness changes. The window size is the number of frames in which there should be no significant change in brightness. For example, if the final video is 60 frames per second and the window is 30, there will be no significant change in brightness for 0.5 seconds.

GlueMotion 2 allows you to visualize the brightness of each frame by displaying the green curve. The blue curve indicates the brightness once corrected. The goal is to get a smooth blue curve while keeping the initial look. If you do not smooth enough, you will continue to see the flicker effect, and if you smooth too much, you will distort the change in brightness of your shot.

I attached three screenshots. Screenshot 1 is too much. Screenshot 2 is not enough. Screenshot 3 seems good. The best is to preview the result in the speed section.

Let me know if it helps.

Thanks for that. I’ll have a play with it and see how I go.

I need to start searching for subjects for some new Timelapses.