Export sidecar and export tags write different data

Hi,
I opened an image and imported the corresponding XMP sidecar file. Both are in the same folder. Then I added some XMP tags (eg XMP Artwork Circa Date Created). When I use Sidecar/Sidecar export/XMP, the original XMP file is not changed (i.e. it does not contain the Artwork Circa Date Created tag). When I use Sidecar/Tags export/XMP, I get a new XMP file with the newly added tag.
Is that intended behavior? If so, what is “Sidecar export” intended for?

Hello there,

MetaImage allows you to open images and edit their metadata. It can also open and edit XMP files directly. Unlike photo browsers, MetaImage does not automatically edit the XMP file when you edit an image file. Instead, it focuses on straightforward manual editing without automatic syncing.

The short answer is maybe. The import/export sidecar actions make it easy to overwrite the metadata of an image file with the metadata from a sidecar file, and vice versa. For instance, if you have a sidecar file and want to apply its metadata to an image, you can use this command. Additionally, if you want to edit the sidecar file, you can open it directly.

This command allows you to create a sidecar from the metadata of a file.

MetaImage is designed as a utility app for changing metadata that is not supported by typical apps or for batch editing specific details. It aims to provide capabilities that Lightroom cannot.

Let me know if this helps,

Jeremy Vizzini

Hi Jérémy,

yes, that helps. At least I now know how to achieve what I want. MetaImage is the only app I could find that allows me to add the Artwork IPTC tags. So, thanks a lot for that.

1 Like